We're working on it! Addie has begun to come with us to study French as well. She loves Claire and knows that when she sees her, she should say "Bonjour!" We think it is probably good for her to hear someone speak French who has a good accent (Wayne says I still have to work on mine :) Claire is wonderful with Addie and speaks French to her a lot while we are there. We are very thankful for her and all the help she is giving us. Thanks Claire!
Who Are We
We should be jealous. . . for the honour of His name – troubled when it remains unknown, hurt when it is ignored, indignant when it is blasphemed. And all the time anxious and determined that it shall be given the honour and glory which are due to it.” John Stott
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
- Muslims believe Jesus was born of a virgin, never sinned, and never died (all things not true of Muhammad)
- The surahs in the Koran are not chronological.
- A shift in Muhammad's ministry (and the tone of many surahs) change from his early years as a prophet in Mecca to his time in Medina.
- The beginning of the Islamic calender is not from when Muhammad first received revelation, but from when he fled to Medina.
- There is big difference between what the Koran teaches and what Muslims believe (probably the same could be said of Christians)
Tuesday nights are now open again because last Tuesday was the final of a 12 week class on Encountering the World of Islam. Above are just a few of the facts and concepts we gained from the class. We had 2 classes that were taught by Muslims (one week was on how Islam expanded, very interesting class!). Overall, we were again reminded, it's good that our mission board is requiring us to do a certain amount of pre-departure training.
Probably the greatest benefit of the class for us though was a reminder that we are seeking to meet a great need. Islam is one of the biggest religions in the world and a very small percentage of missionaries and missions giving goes towards reaching them.
The class continued to burden me for Muslims in that they appreciate Jesus for many things, but until they embrace Him as their Savior and God, they are missing out. What greater gift has been given to us than God revealing Himself to us through His Son and providing a way through His Son for us to be in relationship with Him!!!
Praise be to God for this incredible gift and may we always be motivated to shout how great our God is!
Posted by Wayne at 12:04 PM