Who Are We


Wayne, Hilary & Adelaide Denny. Preparing to Serve in Leadership Training in Senegal, Africa. God has called us to take advantage of a unique window of religious freedom in Muslim Senegal by equipping church leaders who have a heart for reaching their country and the Muslim world.

We should be jealous. . . for the honour of His name – troubled when it remains unknown, hurt when it is ignored, indignant when it is blasphemed. And all the time anxious and determined that it shall be given the honour and glory which are due to it.” John Stott


Thursday, June 12, 2008

Be still and . . . (what's the rest of the verse)

If you're like me a few years back and most of my other classmates in seminary at chapel that day our speaker asked us the same question, you would say "and know that I am God" is it. Look again.

"Be still and know that I am God
I will be exalted among the nations
I will be exalted in the earth."

Psalm 46 does provide personal comfort in the face of challenging situations. But a major part of what brings comfort is knowing that God will be praised among all nations. A focus on longing for God to be praised in all nations is a forgotten but essential aspect of worship in the Old Testament (see Ps 57:9, 67, 86:8-10, 117).

I've often had a wrong understanding that missions began with the church. Granted missions is done differently in the church, but even in the Old Testament, God's plan was to bless Israel in such a way that all nations would be drawn to worship him (Deut 4:5-8).

The past 4 weeks, I've been teaching a class on "Being a globally minded Christian" at Plano Bible Chapel and the topic of "other nations" in the Old Testament was where we began. Preparing to teach that first class reminded me how important it has always been that God be praised throughout the world.

1 comment:

christina said...

I had a missions professor who hammered this verse and its importance into our brains. I fell in love with it, and thus the result of my blog...