Who Are We


Wayne, Hilary & Adelaide Denny. Preparing to Serve in Leadership Training in Senegal, Africa. God has called us to take advantage of a unique window of religious freedom in Muslim Senegal by equipping church leaders who have a heart for reaching their country and the Muslim world.

We should be jealous. . . for the honour of His name – troubled when it remains unknown, hurt when it is ignored, indignant when it is blasphemed. And all the time anxious and determined that it shall be given the honour and glory which are due to it.” John Stott


Saturday, November 1, 2008

Boarding School!?!?!?!?!


I always thought of this as the 14 letter phrase that no one should ever say when speaking about missionaries, and it was definitely something that I would never say. I even told a veteran missionary that I would never send my daughter to boarding school (when I told her this I was 8 weeks pregnant and definitely couldn't imagine my little one ever leaving me!). This very wise missionary told me at that point, "Be careful. Never is one thing you should probably never say. Be open to what God would have you do."

I am very thankful for this friend who shared these words with me, and for the way God has been preparing me for service overseas. This past week, Wayne and I attended a conference on educating your children overseas. During this conference we discussed several different options for education in a different country, as well as several challenges we will face in educating her overseas, such as what language will she learn to read in first and then when will she learn to read in the other language! We realize that we have many challenges ahead of us as we seek to minister as a family in Senegal. We also realize that God has given us some exciting opportunities as well. Our first plan for Addie's schooling is for her to attend a Senegalese Christian school where 80% of the kids are Muslim. We desire for her to learn French and be able to interact with the culture in Senegal so that she might serve Christ there.

And now back to that dirty 14 letter phrase :) Yes, we did talk about boarding school this week as one of many options (the others being national schools, homeschooling, International schools, International Christian schools, online schools, and a few more). And no, we're not going to send Addie to boarding school in elementary school! But it may be an option later. With prayer and consideration, and discussion with Addie, boarding school may actually be a good option for high school. And I know you may be thinking, "Isn't she only 2?" Yes, and we're not planning her entire schooling this week, but God has opened both of our hearts to more possibilities than we were previously open to. I have heard so many good stories about boarding schools lately, about kids who beg their parents to let them go and love the interaction with other kids. I have heard about how boarding schools can make strong families stronger and build the relationship between parents and kids. I have heard about how they grow kids character as they prepare to return to the States for college. And God has softened my heart and told me that maybe, this might be an option for Addie one day.

Again, we are incredibly thankful for the training we are continuing to get and for God preparing our minds and our hearts for serving Him in Senegal.

1 comment:

Christie M said...

Can boarding school for high school can be considered "early college"? :)

The Lord will lead you where He wants ADDIE AND YOU! The best thing is, when that time comes, you will be in HIS PERFECT WILL, and you will know it. :)
Enjoy her as your gift for a time. She is HIS after all. :)