Who Are We


Wayne, Hilary & Adelaide Denny. Preparing to Serve in Leadership Training in Senegal, Africa. God has called us to take advantage of a unique window of religious freedom in Muslim Senegal by equipping church leaders who have a heart for reaching their country and the Muslim world.

We should be jealous. . . for the honour of His name – troubled when it remains unknown, hurt when it is ignored, indignant when it is blasphemed. And all the time anxious and determined that it shall be given the honour and glory which are due to it.” John Stott


Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Are you as smart as a 5th grader?

After today, I sure don't feel like it.

Part of our required reading before we came here mentioned that what often causes culture shock is not necessarily any one overwhelming aspect about the new culture, but that so many little things are now different. It seems like that right now as nothing has been incredibly difficult, but nothing is easy. 

I especially feel this in class right now and today was only the first day. Typically, in every class I've been in or sermon I've listened to, I can take a 1 minute (sometimes longer) mental break and pick back up without missing much. Today, I had a few times where I took a 10 second mental break and then have the teacher ask, "Do you comprehend?" To which, I must honestly say, "I have no idea." We also did an exercise where we had to spell and pronounce the names of other countries in French and I realized, I only know the correct french spellings of a few countries in the whole world. That left me wondering if I could even compete on a French version of "are you smarter than 1st grader?"

Needless to say, my brain hurt at the end of class today worse than it ever has.

2 comments:

P. Smith said...

Dude, "1st grader" is not the preferred, uh. . . "Amateurs". Please. "You're like a child who wanders in in the middle of a movie and wants to know--"

Can't wait till you are an "Achiever."

Chop-chop!

Christie M said...

I remember studying Russian before we left for Ukraine, only to hear everybody talking all around me and straining to hear just ONE familiar word. Da? Niet?

It is so different LIVING a language.
My guess is Addie will perfect it first. LOL